Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Happy Hump Day

One thing I absolutely adore snacking on is deviled eggs.  They are perfect bites of creamy, salty, proteiny goodness and they couldn't be easier to make.  My go-to recipe for these puppies is a weird hybrid of my mom's (amazingly retro) chipped beef cheese ball and the deviled eggs served by Woodberry Kitchen in Baltimore.  Woodberry makes their deviled eggs with chipped ham which is, in a word, genius.  My mom makes her cream cheese ball with chipped beef, horseradish, and too much parsley... and it is perfect.

Below is a hybrid of the best deviled eggs I've ever had, and a great, "rustic" (ie ugly but delicious) appetizer from my mom.
As an aside, if you need something fun and cheeky to display your deviled eggs on, I recommend this - from anthropology.



How cute right?

Anyway... on with the deviled eggs!

Here's the deal... this is not a recipe exactly... its more like a method.  I'm not going to tell you how to hardboil a half a dozen eggs.  Thats what the interwebs is for.

Simply hard-boil 6 eggs and halve them, scooping the yolk into a bowl and reserving the whites.  Then take the yolks and add 2-3 tbsp of good mayonnaise (I recommend Hellmann's... the amount you use will depend on how dry your yolks are and how creamy you like them), 1 scant tbsp of prepared horseradish, 1 tbsp parsley, and 1/4lb dried chipped beef (or as an alternative 1/4lb speck ham).

Mix that all together until you reach an agreeable level of smoothness and scoop it all into a gallon ziplock bag. Snip the tip off the ziplock bag and pipe the yolk mixture into the hollowed out eggwhites.  Voila!  Delicious snack in minutes :)

That should get you through to at least friday.



No comments:

Post a Comment